|The province of Agrigento
Calamonaci (Zip Code 92010) is 48 Km. distant from Agrigento, the province it belongs to, 118 Km. from Caltanissetta, 240 Km. from Catania, 159 Km. from Enna, 323 Km. from Messina, 11 Km. from Palermo, 184 Km. from Ragusa, 265 Km. from Siracusa, 129 Km. from Trapani.
Photo © Affinità Elettive
The municipality counts 1.561 inhabitants, its surface measures 3.257 hectares, and its population density is of 48 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an internal hilly area, 307 meters above the sea-level.
The Town Hall is located in via Roma, tel. ++39 925 68377 fax. ++39 925 68904. E-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Typical of the agriculture is the cultivation of almonds, olives, grapes, honey, citrus fruits, and a specific variety of extra virgin olive oil called "biancolilla". Cattle breeding and apiculture are flourishing. Also very characteristic are the local handicraft objects, such as brooms, bread baskets, and the so called "coffe" (big hand-woven wicker baskets).
The name Calamonaci derives from the Arab term Kal-at-Munach, meaning "pit stop farm house", because anciently it used to be a station where diligences changed their horses. The first center was founded approximately during the XIII century by the Arabs, who built a farm house.
Copyright© Municipality of Calamonaci
In 1278, it was bestowed by King Giacomo of Aragona to Lord Berengario de Villaragut. Afterwards, it belonged respectively to the Inveges Barons and to the noble Perollo family from Sciacca, and it was always uninhabited.
The current urban structure was created during 1574, thanks to nobleman Antonio De Termini who achieved the appropriate "licenti populandi".
Afterwards, the feud became property of Lord Vespasiano De Spuches, and then seat of the Montaperto of Raffadali Barons. In 1812, the town became autonomous when feudality was abolished.
The Chiesa Madre dedicated to Saint Vincenzo Ferreri, erected as of 1580, and the small Convento dei Carmelitani (Convent of the Carmelitani), erected during 1600 and only partially visible to this day, are both of remarkable architectural interest.