Residence Isola del Miele   Zimbone Antonio - Fotografo   Residence Isola del Miele
The province of Agrigento

Caltabellotta

The city of Caltabellotta
Copyright © 2000 Affinità Elettive
 

Caltabellotta (Zip Code 92010) is 89 Km. distant from Agrigento, the province it belongs to, 161 Km. from Caltanissetta, 281 Km. from Catania, 202 Km. from Enna, 336 Km. from Messina, 104 Km. from Palermo, 225 Km. from Ragusa, 306 Km. from Siracusa, 126 Km. from Trapani.

Copyright © 2000 Affinità Elettive The Pugno di Giove

The municipality counts 4.860 inhabitants, its surface measures 12.358 hectares, and its population density is of 39 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an internal hilly area, 949 meters above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is located in piazza Umberto I, tel. ++39 925 951104 - 925 951013 fax. ++39 925 951987. E-mail address is: aineli@tiscalinet.it.

Caltabellotta is mostly an agriculture center, characterized by the cultivation of oil, olives, citrus fruits, almonds, grapes, and honey. Cattle breeding and sheep farms are flourishing, from which the typical pecorino cheese is produced. This type of cheese, along with other dairy products, can be tasted during the annual Fiera del bestiame (cattle fair), that is held during the month of August.

The name Caltabellotta derives from the Arab term Qal'at-al-ballut, meaning "Castle of the Oak tree". In 1090, the town experienced the domination of the Normans, who erected a Castle as their residence and fortress. In this castle, in 1302, the famous Trattato di Caltabellotta (Treaty of Caltabellotta), symbol of the peace established between the Angevins of Naples and the Aragoneses of Sicily, was signed. Subsequently, the county respectively belonged to the Peralta family, the Moncada family, and ultimately to the family of Alvarez De Toledo.

Copyright © 2000 Affinità Elettive The Church of S. Maria della Pietà

Something to visit is the small Chiesa di S. Maria della Pietà, hidden in rocks, and the Chiesa di S. Agostino, dated 1335, that beholds a wonderful group of religious statues in polychrome terra-cotta. Also, the ex Chiesa di S. Lorenzo (today, only partially visible) and its gothic doorway, and the Chiesa di S. Pellegrino and the nearby medieval Convent.