Edas   Il Sole Editrice   Helios Hotel - San Vito Lo Capo
The province of Agrigento

Casteltermini

A panoramic view of Casteltermini
Copyright © Nicola Palmeri
 

Casteltermini (Zip Code 92025) is 44 Km. from Agrigento, the province it belongs to, 68 Km. from Caltanissetta, 206 Km. from Catania, 109 Km. from Enna, 295 Km. from Messina, 104 Km. from Palermo, 180 Km. from Ragusa, 259 Km. from Siracusa, 203 Km. from Trapani.

Copyright © Affinità Elettive The Church of San Giuseppe

The municipality counts 9.741 inhabitants, its surface measures 9.951 hectares, and its population density is of 98 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an internal hilly area, 555 meters above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is located in piazza Duomo, tel. ++39 0922-912446 fax. ++39 0922-929001, toll free number 800252711 (only for italian residence).

Typical agricultural center, Casteltermini boasts the cultivation of cereals, olives, and grapes, that can be tasted every year during the Fairs held in May, August, and September. The handicraft production is characterized by the creation of wooden objects.

The name Casteltermini derives from the medieval Latin term Castellum Thermae, that means Castle of the thermal baths. The suburb was founded in 1629 by "licentia populandi", thanks to nobleman Vincenzo Maria Termini. The town became residence of the Termini family, who settled in with the title of Princes of Casteltermini.

Subsequently, the Princes of Castelvetrano took over, and ultimately the Duke of Monteleone, until feudality was abolished.

Copyright © 2000 Affinità Elettive The mother church

Among the monuments, those that stand out are the baroque style Chiesa di S. Giuseppe, and the Chiesa Madre of the XVIII century, that preserves art work by Giuseppe Velasquez (1750-1827) and Salvatore Bagnasco (active during the XVIII and XIX centuries).

Another interesting monument is the Eremo di Santa Croce (hermitage of Santa Croce), that beholds one of the most ancient wooden crucifixes worldwide.

A famous educator was Casteltermini's Giovanni Agostino De Cosmi (1726-1841), who established the first public and free elementary school ever in Sicily, in 1788.