|The province of Agrigento
Favara (Zip Code 92026) is 12 Km. distant from Agrigento, the province it belongs to, 60 Km. from Caltanissetta, 180 Km. from Catania, 99 Km. from Enna, 276 Km. from Messina, 135 Km. from Palermo, 136 Km. from Ragusa, 217 Km. from Siracusa, 185 Km. from Trapani.
Photo © Luigi Nifosì
The municipality counts 32.879 inhabitants, its surface measures 8.102 hectares, and its population density is of 406 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a littoral hilly area, 350 meters above the sea-level.
The Town Hall is located in piazza don Giustino, tel. ++39 0922-436060 fax. ++39 0922-31664, toll free number 800234923 (only for italian residence).
A big agricultural center, Favara stands out for the cultivation of grapes, almonds, and cereals, that one can taste each year during the Fair held in the month of October. During September, there is also the Fiera del Bestiame (cattle fair), where bovines, sheep, and chickens are exhibited.
The name Favara derives from the Arab term Fawar, that means "source", for the numerous water streams throughout the territory.
Approximately during the XIII century, the king Federico II Chiaramonte had a Castle erected, and the first inhabited center rose around it.
Photo © Affinità Elettive
Ever since the XVII century, the suburb has been ruled by the Parapertusa, the De Marinis, the Aragona Pignatelli family, and ultimately by the Cortes. In 1829, as feudality was abolished, the town became independent.
Some of the most representative constructions are the Castello dei Chiaramonte, and its typical Arab chapel, the magnificent Chiesa Madre of the XVII century, that beholds a wooden Crucifix, the Chiesa del Purgatorio erected in 1626, and the baroque Chiesa del Rosario, XVIII century, with its marvelous caisson ceiling.
A note for a remarkable educator from Favara, Camillo Palermo (1891-1964), who implemented a revolutionary educative proposal, by including figurative and ludic arts into education, in order to defeat illiteracy.