|The town of Joppolo Giancaxio
Tourism in Joppolo Giancaxio
Joppolo Giancaxio is situated on a hill dominating the valley beneath crossed by Akragas river.
The town was founded in 1693, in Giancaio feud, by Calogero Gabriele Colonna who had received this land as his wife's dowry, Donna Rosalia Joppolo.
In Joppolo, the Colonna lived in a medieval castle situated in a luxuriant park, right in the middle of the town, surrounded by many houses.
Photo © Affinità Elettive
The castle is not very big and its walls were made with irregular size blocks.
The fortification line is provided with towers crowned by elevations at regular intervals and supported by brackets.
On each side of the building there are large windows. As these windows have no grating, we might suppose that this royal family, of Roman origins, did not conceived this castle as a military fortress.
In the chapel annexed to the castle, inspired by Romanesque patterns, the family used to celebrated the holy mass when stopping from their long wanderings along the estate.