Il Sole Editrice   Edas   Residence Nettuno
The province of Agrigento

Licata

Licata
Copyright © 2000 Affinità Elettive
 

Licata (Zip Code 92027) is 44 Km. distant from Agrigento, the province it belongs to, 71 Km. from Caltanissetta, 148 Km. from Catania, 89 Km. from Enna, 244 Km. from Messina, 183 Km. from Palermo, 92 Km. from Ragusa, 173 Km. from Siracusa, 217 Km. from Trapani.

Copyright © 2000 Affinità Elettive Monastero benedettino

The municipality counts 41.032 inhabitants, its surface measures 17.891 hectares, and its population density is of 229 inhabitant per square kilometre. It rises on a littoral area, 8 meters above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is located in piazza Progresso n. 10, tel. ++39 0922-868111 fax. ++39 0922-773181, toll-free number 167-211275.

Situated on the slope of "Monte di Licata", the town stands out for the conspicuous agricultural production of citrus fruits, cantaloupes, cereals, and early-season fruits. Cattle breeding and sheep farms are flourishing. The fishing resource is characterized by the typical sogliole di Licata, mullets, and octopus.

The name Licata derives from the Greek  Alukates, that means "salty" because this land beholds the source of the Salso river, that also means "salty". Historically, the town is identified with the original Finziade, founded in 280 B.C. by Finzia, Tyrant of Agrigento. During the Roman period, the Greeks and Phoenicians transformed it into one of the most important commercial emporiums of the whole island. In 1553, the country town experienced the devastating Turkish ruling. Approximately during the XVIII century, the town lived a strong financial recovery, thanks to the intervention of influent families who ruled throughout the years. Throughout the entire XIX century, there was a further financial and construction improvement, thanks to the efficient sea port and the growth of big sulfur refineries.

Copyright © 2000 Affinità Elettive Church of Sant'Angelo

Wonderful to visit in Licata are the Chiesa and the Convento del Carmine, art work of the architect G. B. Amico (1684-1754), and the Chiesa di S. Angelo, that beholds rich silver objects and the silver urn containing the relics of the town's Patron Saint. Among the urban architectures, the numerous luxury buildings of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries stand out. Marvelous are the Liberty-style villas located in the Monserrato area.