|The province of Agrigento
Montevago (Zip Code 92010) is 105 Km. distant from Agrigento, the province it belongs to, 175 Km. from Caltanissetta, 237 Km. from Catania, 211 Km. from Enna, 255 Km. from Messina, 98 Km. from Palermo, 241 Km. from Ragusa, 322 Km. from Siracusa, 68 Km. from Trapani.
Photo © Reti e Sistemi
The municipality counts 3.283 inhabitants, its surface measures 3.246 hectares, and its population density is of 101 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an internal hilly area, 393 meters above the sea-level.
The Town Hall is located in piazza Repubblica, tel. ++39 0925-38022 fax. ++39 0925-38689.
E-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overlooking the Valle del Belice, Montevago boasts the cultivation of citrus fruit, grapes, olives, and Indian figs, exhibited during the annual Agriculture Fair in the month of August. Cattle breeding is flourishing thanks to the vast pasture areas.
The name Montevago derives from the Arab term Mazil-Sindi, that means "Casale di Sindi" (Sindi's farmhouse) because the town was founded during the Arab era.
In 1392, the town was called Misilindino and was bestowed to Lord Antonio Moncada Montecateno, Count of Adernò at that time.
Afterwards, he roused against sovereignty, thus the suburb was confiscated and bestowed to the Catalan Lord Michele De Lubu. Furthermore, the town was ruled by several feudal lords until 1636, when it was bestowed to Don Francesco Scirotta, judge of Palermo's Magna Curia Regia.
Photo © Reti e Sistemi
In 1642, his son Don Rutilio Scirotta was conferred the title of first prince of the town by King Filippo IV, by whom he achieved the "licenti populandi" as well.
In time, the center has experienced the domination of the Lords of Gravina and of the Dukes of San Michele. In 1968, the terrible earthquake in Valle del Belice destroyed Montevago as well, as it was razed to the ground. The current urban center was reconstructed only recently.
The monuments that stand out are the Santuario della Madonna delle Grazie, the Chiesa Madre and the Chiesa Santi Pietro e Paolo, all new constructions. Relevant are also the Villa Romana and the numerous remains of the ancient inhabited center.
It is interesting to remember that, only a few kilometers away from the town, there are the famous Terme Acqua Pia, important thermal baths beholding a source of hot water utilized for therapeutical purposes.