|The province of Agrigento
San Biagio Platani
San Biagio Platani(Zip Code 92020) is 45 Km. distant from Agrigento, the province it belongs to, 88 Km. from Caltanissetta, 214 Km. from Catania, 129 Km. from Enna, 275 Km. from Messina, 124 Km. from Palermo, 181 Km. from Ragusa, 262 Km. from Siracusa, 218 Km. from Trapani.
Photo © Roberto Meli
The municipality counts 4.172 inhabitants, its surface measures 4.241 hectares, and its population density is of 98 inhabitants per square kilometre.
It rises on an internal hilly area, 416 meters above the sea-level.
The Town Hall is located in corso Umberto n. 105, tel. ++39 0922-910100 fax. ++39 0922-910100.
Situated on a tableland between the two valleys of the rivers Platani and Turvoli, San Biagio Platani out stands for the conspicuous production of cereals, olives, almonds, and pistachios.
Cattle breeding is rich because of the many pasture areas. As per handicrafts, wooden and stone objects are outstanding.
Originally, the town was simply called San Biagio, in honor of the town's homonymous patron saint. In 1863, the appositive "Platani" was added to remember the river flowing nearby.
The first suburb was founded with the "licentia populandi" in 1635, by lord Giovanni Battista Berardi.
Photo © Affinità Elettive
Subsequently, nobleman Diego Joppolo became the owner, and was appointed as the town's first duke, in 1659. In 1812 the town achieved its independence.
The most relevant monuments are the Chiesa Madre, dedicated to San Biagio, and the Chiesa del Carmine, both of the XVIII century.
Very characteristic is the town feast held during the Holy Week, when San Biagio's community decorates the main streets with rosemary, palms, flowers, oranges, dates, and sugar covered bread.