|The town of Delia
Tourism in Delia
Delia, whose Arabian name means vigna (vineyard), is an agricultural town on a small hill surrounded by a fertile countryside, where grapes, but not only, are cultivated.
The settlement was founded by Don Gaspare Lucchese in 1622 after having obtained the edificandi et populandi authorization in 1597 by Filippo II (1527-1598), king of Spain.
To the west, on a rocky limestone hill, there are the ruins of a medieval castle, called Castellaccio.
Photo © Walter Lo Cascio
The construction date is unstated but it seems that the castle was modified and enlarged by the Aragonese, who dominated Sicily from the 11th century up to 1469.
The castle, massive in size and architecture, was in a strategic position being the last military fortress to defend the territory along the road from Catania to Agrigento.
The castle was involved in many important historical events, such as the war of the Sicilian Vespers.