Italiano
The province of Caltanissetta

Gela

 

A panoramic view of Gela
Photo © Luigi Nifosì

Gela (Zip Code 93012) is 77 Km. distant from Agrigento, 82 Km. from Caltanissetta, which is the town it belongs to, 107 Km. from Catania, 76 Km. from Enna, 203 Km. from Messina, 216 Km. from Palermo, 60 Km. from Ragusa, 135 Km. from Siracusa, 250 Km. from Trapani.

Photo © Luigi Nifosì 

The Chiesa Madre

The municipality counts 76.520 inhabitants, its surface measures 27.737 hectares, and its population density counts 276 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises over a coastal flat area, 45 meters above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is located in the town's Palazzo, tel. ++39 0933-917587 fax. ++39 0933-919798. E-mail address is: mtm@comune.gela.cl.it.

The economy is supported by a big oil-chemical complex, and the oil fields present in the subsoil are numerous. The agriculture has high relevance, especially with regards to the production of cotton, early fruits, cereals, and artichokes. There is also a substantial fish market.

The first installations took place at the end of the VII century B.C., by will of the Rhodes and Cretans. In 580, Gela founded Agrigento, whose importance throughout the years surpassed that of Gela.

During the period of Cleandro's tyranny, from 505 to 498 B.C., and Ippocrate's tyranny, from 498 to 491 B.C., Gela became one of Sicily's most famous Sicily, and was elevated to city-state.

Photo © Luigi Nifosì 

The Castelluccio

In 405 B.C. it was destroyed by the Carthaginians, rebuilt in 338 B.C. by Timoleonte, and ultimately completely destroyed in 282 B.C. by the Mamertini.

It rose once again in 1230 with Federico II, who named it Terranova. The town regained its original ancient name in 1927.

One of the most artistically relevant monuments is the Chiesa Madre, rebuilt in 1766 over the remains of the pre existent Chiesa della Madonna della Platea. Of no minor relevance are the church of S. Francesco d'Assisi, XVII century, the church of S. Giuseppe, XV century, and the church of the Madonna delle Grazie or of the Cappuccini, XVI century.

Many are Gela's findings preserved in the regional Archeological Museum. The XIV century Castelluccio is an imposing construction rising over the spur that dominates the area of Gela.

Various sources testify that Eschilo spent the last years of his life in Gela, where he died in 456 B.C..

The Company

The Reti e Sistemi S.r.l. founded in 2000 by a group of professionals with decades of experience in Information Technology to be able to meet the most diverse computing needs of its valued customers.

Information

  • Phone: +39 0923 / 547983 - +39 0923 / 548695
  • Fax: +39 0923 / 038230
  • E-mail: info@sicilia.indettaglio.it
  • Address: Corso Piersanti Mattarella n. 12 91100 Trapani (Tp) Italia