|The town of Mazzarino
Tourism in Mazzarino
Mazzarino is a large farming town of feudal origins on the top of a hill.
Next to the Baron's Palace there is the Church of St. Maria del Carmelo.
The Baroque church is marked by an exuberant structure with curvilinear decorations.
The interior houses St. Stephen's chapel decorated by a strong colour canvas: it represents St. Stephen's Lapidation, an early work by Mattia Preti (1613-1699) and it expresses vigor and intensity of feelings.
Photo © Municipality of Mazzarino
Adjacent to the walls the are the tombs of the Brancifortes, lords of Mazzarino from 1324 to 1812, and amongst them Giovanni Branciforte's stands out.
Beneath a massive marble arch there is a delicate Madonna with child. On both sides one can admire St. John and St. Peter, and some female figures representing the Virtues.