|The town of Milena
Tourism in Milena
Milena is a small but interesting farming town originated by the unification of Milocca and San Biagio.
It became an autonomous municipality in December 1923.
Originally it was called Milocca, from the Arab Maluk meaning Cherry Tree, and later in 1933 it was named after Queen Milena of Montenegro, whose daughter Elena had married King Vittorio Emanuele III of Savoia, king of Italy.
In its territory there are some evidences of settlements dating to the prehistory. All findings have been included in a collection and stored in the town's Antiquarium.
Photo © Estate in Sicilia
On the west side of Mount Campanella, south-west from town, two tombs have been found dating back to the 12-10th centuries BC.
The two sepulchral structures, found in 1956 and 1976, are called Tholos for their Greek style, and are marked by a circular base covered by a sort of dome.
Further south, in the low hill of Serra del Palco, some settlement evidences have been found and maybe they can be dated back to a period between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age.