Edas   Residence Nettuno   Zimbone Antonio - Fotografo
The province of Caltanissetta

Montedoro

A panoramic view of Montedoro
Copyright © Federico Messana

Montedoro (Zip Code 93010) is 37 Km. distant from Agrigento, 32 Km. from Caltanissetta, which is the province it belongs to, 158 Km. from Catania, 73 Km. from Enna, 254 Km. from Messina, 130 Km. from Palermo, 173 Km. from Ragusa, 223 Km. from Siracusa, 222 Km. from Trapani.

Copyright © Federico Messana A particular of Montedoro

The municipality counts 1.953 inhabitants, its surface measures 1.414 hectares, and its population density counts 138 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises over a hilly area, 450 meters above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is located in Lg. Roma n 1, tel. ++39 0934-934404 fax. ++39 0934-934295.

The town's main agricultural products are wheat, grapes, and almonds. Cattle breeding and sheep farms are conspicuous.

Typical is the Sagra della Cuccìa (Cuccia Festival - Cuccia is a typical dish made of cooked wheat grains, seasoned with a strong sweet wine), that takes place every year on December 13, the day of S. Lucia.

Copyright © Federico Messana Statua dell`Immacolata

The small suburb was founded during the first half of 1600, by the noble Aragona Tagliavia family, built over an area characterized by the production of sulfur, called Sicily's "oro" (gold).

Thus, the town was named Montedoro. Afterwards, the town's dominion passed to the princes Pignatelli until 1812, when the feudal rights were abolished.

Among the most outstanding monuments, there is the Chiesa Madre erected in 1644, that preserves four beautiful polychrome brickwork statues.

Montedoro was the first Sicilian town to behold the world record as far as sulfur extraction and production is concerned.