|The town of Montedoro
Tourism in Montedoro
Montedoro owns its name from the golden colour painting the surrounding grounds in spring.
The town was founded by Don Diego Aragona Tagliavia Cortes in 1635 after receiving the edificandi et populandi authorization by the viceroy Don Ferdinando Afan de Ribera.
In the middle of Piazza Europa there is the Mother Church, dedicated to St. Mary of the Rosary.
Photo © Federico Messana
It construction in 1644 was committed by the duke of Terranova. In 1654 the church welcomed the first believers.
The church facade has been modified many times and originally it was in Gothic- Renaissance style. The rectangular entrance gate has two doors with decorations on squares.
Of great interest are the niches opening on the facade, containing the statue of Christ the Redeemer, of the Holy Virgin with Child and of Saints. The external structure ends with two small towers divided by a huge pretty cross.
Inside of the church, the construction closing the main nave stands out. It is decorated with a painting attributed to Fra' Felice da Sambuca (1734-1805). Of great artistic value is the baroque marble font.