The town of Aci Catena
Tourism in Aci Catena
Suited towards the last years of the XIX century to be the seat of the townhall, the Church of St. Anthony of Padua remains one of the most beautiful and elegant churches in Italy.
Its inside still now are kept most of works which formed the sacred furniture of the building.
Among these there is the original cloister which has been kept in fair terms. It is decorated with frescoes which represent some images of Saint's life.
Photo © Municipality of Aci Catena
Some valuable canvases embellish the only nave present in the church. They can be ascribed to Giacinto Platania (1647-1720) and Pietro Paolo Vasta (1697-1760). The latter is the author of the representation of the Family of Assisi.
Worthy of citing also are the wood statues made by Gennaro Franzese (1749) which represent San Pietro d'Alacantara and San Pasquale Baylon and the marble statue of Santa Maria del Gesù made by the Gagini school.
Interesting it is also a Crucifix made by Brother Umile from Petralia (1580-1639).