|The town of Camporotondo Etneo
Tourism in Camporotondo Etneo
At 13 km. from Catania, on the southern side of Etna, rises Camporotondo Etneo.
The small town originated from a rural house that Philip IV (1605-1665), king of Spain, sold to Genoese Giovanni Andrea Massa.
Territory of the municipality shows a luxuriant vegetation which includes elegant shapes of citrus fruit trees whose branches are coloured green, yellow, orange, and fields under vine cultivation and drawed by the pergolas and by the low vineyards which produce juicy fruits from which derives a very good table-wine, almond trees with white and pink flowers which in Spring scent the air, olive trees, twisted trunks which produce a very good oil.
Photo © A.p.t. Catania
The name of the town derives from its round shape which develops in a regular town-planning dominated by contrasts between the grey of lavic stone and the green of vegetation.
Among monuments which enrich Camporotondo Etneo there are some which have great artistic and historic interest the Natali Palace and the Church of Sant'Antonio Abate.
The Temple dedicated to patron of the town celebrated with a popular feast, every year on 17 January, was built in baroque style.
The architecture of the Church, with imposing shapes both inside and outside, is inclined to glorification of the complex and to search of movement and perspective.
Inside furnitures, sculptures and paintings, create magnificent light and shade effects.