|The province of Catania
Castiglione di Sicilia
Castiglione di Sicilia (Zip Code 95012) is 238 Km. distant from Agrigento, 166 Km. from Caltanissetta, 50 Km. from Catania, which is the province it belongs to, 125 Km. from Enna, 78 Km. from Messina, 260 Km. from Palermo, 154 Km. from Ragusa, 108 Km. from Siracusa, 359 Km. from Trapani.
Photo © Reti e Sistemi
The municipality counts 4.054 inhabitants, its surface measures 12.041 hectares, and its population density counts 34 inhabitants per square kilometre.
It rises over an internal hilly area, 601 meters above the sea-level.
The Town Hall is located in piazza Lauria n. 1, tel. ++39 0942-980211 fax. ++39 0942-984505. E-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Situated over a rocky hill dominating the valley of the Alcàntara river, Castiglione di Sicilia is outstanding for its rich production of wine grapes, vegetables, citrus fruits, and excellent olive oil.
Goat and pig farms are flourishing, as well as the production of typical cheeses and salamies. Handcrafts are characterized by the creation of wonderful tapestries, embroideries, almond and walnut pastries.
The name Castiglione derives from the Latin Castrum Leonis, that means "Castle of the Lion" because of the presence of a cliff called Leone (lion) in the town's higher area.
The first inhabited center was founded in 496 B.C. and was a possession of Ippocrate, tyrant of Gela.
Photo © Affinità Elettive
During the Arab era, the town was transformed into a fortress, and it became Royal City under the Norman and Swabian dynasties.
In 1283, it became feud of lord Ruggero di Lauria, and afterwards of nobleman Bartolomeo Gioieni, to whom it belonged to until 1655, when the feudal regime was abolished.
Architecturally, the most interesting monuments are the XVII century Chiesa Madre, preserving the original apse of the ancient Norman Church, the Chiesa di Santa Domenica typically Byzantine, and the Chiesa di S. Antonio Abate that has a beautiful Byzantine dome preserving a polychrome marble altar.
The Castle Leone, of the Norman era, and the remains of a majestic Arab bridge, testifying some Middle Age elements, are relevant as well.