The town of Giarre
Tourism in Giarre
Consecrated to Sant'Isidoro Agricola, the Cathedral rises in the homonymous square of the small town since 1794 when it was built.
Its inside it is possible to admire the grandeur of the dome and of the bell-towers which make it very suggestive.
The front was at first made by Pietro Valente (1796-1859), but in the time it was object of different changes made by the architect Carlo Sada (1809-1873) who changed almost totally its original aspect.
Inside are still kept most of original furnitures.
Among these, worthy of particular attention is the painting placed on the door of the sacresty which represents the "Vergine e Santi" (Virgin Mary and Saints) which is attributable to Pietro Paolo Vasta (1697-1760) and a canvas made in 1849 and is placed in the chapel of Santa Lucia.
It is possible to admire this picture in direction of the first right nave and it represents the "Martirio di Sant'Agata" (Martyrdom of St. Agatha) and it is attributable to two famous Sicilian ceramists Giuseppe (1793-1866) and Francesco (1802-1882) Vaccaro.