|The town of Gravina di Catania
Tourism in Gravina di Catania
Seven kilometres far from Catania, on the southern slopes of Etna, rises Gravina di Catania.
The small town was considered the expansion of the chief town and now shows a dynamic and modern aspect.
The town-planning, which divides the town in the quarters of Fasano, Gravina Centro and San Paolo, is enriched by the parish-villa, by Library and by street furniture made up of vigorous ornamental plants.
Among monuments of Gravina very important is the Cathedral Church, dedicated to Sant'Antonio da Padova (St. Anthony of Padua) in his honour, every year on 13 June, is kept a suggestive feast.
The Church has on its outside front a majestic portal decorated with geometric shapes and framed with elegant sculptures.
On the entry there is a large window and through it the temple gets light which inside creates light and shade effects. The Church ends with an architectonic structure richly decorated.
On the right of the building there is the bell-tower which shows a beautiful clock and a precious cusp. The Baroque style of the sanctuary has a curvilinear movement and gives great relief to the prospective and stage effects. The insides of splendid workmanship keep valuable canvases dated to 1600.