Informatica Commerciale S.p.A.   Zimbone Antonio - Fotografo   Helios Hotel - San Vito Lo Capo
The province of Catania

Licodia Eubea

Licodia Eubea
Copyright © A.p.t. Catania
 

Licodia Eubea (Zip Code 95040) is 142 Km. distant from Agrigento, 113 Km. from Caltanissetta, 71 Km. from Catania, which is the province it belongs to, 94 Km. from Enna, 167 Km. from Messina, 255 Km. from Palermo, 44 Km. from Ragusa, 74 Km. from Siracusa, 291 Km. from Trapani.

Copyright © A.p.t. Catania The Church of Rosario

The municipality counts 3.148 inhabitants, its surface measures 11.174 hectares, and its population density counts 28 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises over an internal hilly area, 630 meters above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is located in viale Della Regione Siciliana n 1, tel. ++39 0933-963001 fax. ++39 0933-801459. E-mail address is: randello@ctonline.it.

Situated above a hill overlooking the valley of the Dirillo river, Licodia Eubea boasts a rich production of olives, almonds, citrus fruits, and excellent table grapes, that can be tasted during the annual Sagra dell'Uva (Grapes' festival) held in the month of September. Cattle breeding, as well as horse, sheep, and goat farms, are flourishing, not to mention the production of absolutely delicious typical Sicilian cheeses.

The name Licodia derives from the Arab term Al-kudia, that means "rupe" (rock) because the first inhabited center rose in the surroundings of an ancient castle situated over a rock. The suburb belonged to lord Riccardo Filangieri, and was afterwards bestowed to nobleman Manfredi Aragona.

Copyright © A.p.t. Catania A particular of the ancient castle

In 1392, the ancient castle was bestowed to the Santapau family, that gave it its name and owned it until the XVI century, when it passed under the dominion of lord Vincenzo Ruffo. In 1693, the town was devastated by the earthquake, and experienced a slow reconstruction.

Beautiful to visit are the Chiesa Madre dedicated to S. Margherita,  erected during the XVII century, preserving the emblem of the Santapau family on its front portal, the Chiesa del Rosario of the XVIII century, and the Palazzo Municipale (Town Hall building).