The town of Mascalucia
Tourism in Mascalucia
Consecrated to Santa Maria della Consolazione (St. Mary of the confort) was built in the XIII century in the historic centre of the village.
In 1693 was almost completely destroyed by an earthquake which left undamaged only an altar now placed in the chapel of the apse.
The main front is made of masonry and has three orders defined by slabs of lavic stone which define the inside structure that is divided in three naves.
Photo © A.p.t. Catania
Every order shows a rectangular window which overhangs a further round window in lavic stone and under it there is a big donjon.
The only entry of the building is a portico in lavic stone too and on its sides there two columns of basalt finely worked and decorated with elegant arabesques.
The top of the front ends with a cornice from which raises a bell-tower and on its top there is a precious spire adorned with coloured mosaic of ceramics.
Inside, in direction of the main nave, there are precious columns with Corinthian capitals and a semicircular apse.
Worthy of particular attention are the decorations of the ceiling, barrel vaults with fanlights, elegant cornices and precious stuccoes.