The town of Trecastagni
Tourism in Trecastagni
Consecrated to San Nicola di Bari (St. Nicholas of Bari), patron of the village, the Church was built in the XV century on a hill which dominates the inhabited centre.
The outside shows numerous decorations made of lavic stone which characterizes many buildings of these areas.
The inside shows a structure with three naves and Latin cross plan. Naves are supported by twelve columns of lavic stone and of the same material are arches of pilasters finely worked.
Photo © A.p.t. Catania
The same workmanship also show the two triumphal arches which divide the apse of the main nave and those belonging to the aisles.
In direction of these there are some marble altars which are finely inlaid and a valuable organ made in 1824.
Worthy of particular attention are also the paintings representing La Madonna del Carmelo made by Alessandro Vasta (1720-1793), San Nicola di Bari made by Zacco (1819-1833) and San Giuseppe attibutable to Neapolitan school.
Artistically interesting are also a precious baptismal font made of marble of Taormina, a wooden statue representing San Giuseppe dating back to the XVIII century and the imposing bell-tower a good 63 metres high.