Edas   Hotel Cetarium   Luigi Nifosė - Photographer in Sicily
The province of Enna

Barrafranca

A panoramic view of Barrafranca
Copyright © Enna Sviluppo
 

Copyright © Municipality of Barrafranca The Church of San Francesco

Barrafranca (Zip Code 94012) is 101 Km. distant from Agrigento, 31 Km. from Caltanissetta, 102 Km. from Catania, 40 Km. from Enna, which is the province it belongs to, 198 Km. from Messina, 173 Km. from Palermo, 102 Km. from Ragusa, 159 Km. from Siracusa, 272 Km. from Trapani.

The municipality counts 13.506 inhabitants, its surface measures 5.364 hectares, and its population density counts 252 inhabitants per square kilometre.

It rises over an internal hilly area, 448 meters above the sea-level.

The Town Hall is located in via Santa Rita n. 3, tel. ++39 0934-496011 fax. ++39 0934-467561, toll free number 800618411 (only for italian residence).

E-mail address is: segretario.generale@comune.barrafranca.en.it.

Extended over a fertile valley, Barrafranca is outstanding for the rich production of cereals, grapes, almonds, olives, pistachios, walnuts, citrus fruits, and vegetables. Cattle breeding and sheep farms are flourishing thanks to the numerous pasture areas.

Copyright © Municipality of Barrafranca The municipality square

The denomination Barrafranca derives in part from the name of its founder, baron Matteo Barresi (Barra), and in part from the fact that the town was exempted from the payment of fiscal taxes (franca).

The first center was already existent during the Roman period, and it was called Calloniana.

Subsequently, it was dominated by the Normans, who made a strategic fortress of it.

During the Middle Ages, the suburb belonged to lord Francesco Ventimiglia, whose family owned it until 1812, when feudality was abolished.

Copyright © Municipality of Barrafranca Church of Maria della Stella

The most beautiful monuments to visit are the baroque style Chiesa Madre (Mother Church), preserving splendid frescoes and stuccoes, the Convent of S. Francesco, today seat of the Town Hall, and its adjacent Church, erected in 1694, preserving an exemplary engraved wooden altar.

Extremely relevant are also the Church of S. Maria dell'Itria of 1600, and the Benedictine Church and Monastery, both built during the XVII century.