|The province of Enna
Enna (Zip Code 94100) is 111 Km. distant from Agrigento, 41 Km. from Caltanissetta, 97 Km. from Catania, 193 Km. from Messina, 161 Km. from Palermo, 145 Km. from Ragusa, 172 Km. from Siracusa, 260 Km. from Trapani.
Photo © Luigi Nifosì
The municipality counts 28.427 inhabitants, its surface measures 35.718 hectares, and its population density counts 80 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises over an internal hilly area, 1098 meters above the sea-level.
The City Hall is located in piazza Maestro Coppola, tel. ++39 0935-40111/26662, toll free number 800840200 (only for italian residence). E-mail address is: email@example.com.
Enna, Italy's most elevated chief town of province, boasts a conspicuous cultivation of cereals, almonds, olives, walnuts, vegetables, and pistachios thanks to the fertile and water-rich soil. Cattle breeding, sheep and goat farms, are flourishing because of the numerous pasture areas, as well as the production of various and delicious dairy products.
The name Enna derives from the ancient Latin term Henna, that means "high". Throughout the years, it was called Castrum Ennae by the Romans, that means "Castle of Enna", and Qasr Yãnnah by the Arabs, meaning "Enna's farmhouse".
Photo © Luigi Nifosì
Afterwards, it was called Castrogiovanni and it preserved this name until 1927, when the original denomination was restored. The town was first a Greek colony, and then a colony of Gela, between the VII and VI centuries B.C.. Approximately during the III century B.C., it experienced the Carthaginian domination, followed by the Roman domination in 258 B.C..
The suburb was residence of the Byzantines, who fortified it as a military outpost for the battle against the Muslims. In 1087, it was conquered by the Normans, and then subjugated by the Swabian dynasty, that erected two powerful defense structures: the Castle of Lombardia and the Castello Vecchio (Old Castle), also called Tower of Federico.
Approximately in 1300, there was the installation of the Aragonese dynasty, in the person of Federico II, who was appointed "king of Trinacria" and who assembled the Sicilian Parliament for the first time. Throughout the years, the town belonged to several noble families. In 1926, it was nominated chief town of the province.
Photo © Walter Lo Cascio
The most beautiful monuments to visit are the Church of S. Francesco d'Assisi of the XIV century, preserving a splendid wooden Crucifix painted on both sides, the Church of S. Giuseppe with an imposing bell-tower of the renaissance period, and the Church of S. Tommaso of the XV century.
Among the urban structures, the most interesting are the Castle of Lombardia, of the Swabian era, that is one of the most important Middle Age castles of all Sicily, the Tower of Federico of the XIII century, 24 meters high, and the baroque Dome erected in 1307.
The most outstanding citizen of Enna was the sociologist Napoleone Colajanni (1847-1921), who fought at the side of Garibaldi in 1862 and was a national deputy in 1890.
Another relevant name belonged to Francesco Paolo Neglia (1874-1932), a notorious musician who directed the Conservatorio di Amburgo in Germany.
Copyright © 2015 - Reti e Sistemi, Corso Piersanti Mattarella n. 12 Trapani - Tel. (++39) 0923/548695 - Fax (++39) 0923/547983 - P.IVA 01961150818.