|The town of Leonforte
Tourism in Leonforte
Situated in the north side of the town, the church was committed by Branciforti, a member of the homonymous noble family who founded Leonfonte in 1610.
The interior displays the tombs of the family's founder and of his wife Catherine, placed respectively towards the high altar and the right side chapel.
As far as the decorations of the church are concerned, they reflect the standards of the artistic tradition of that time.
Photo © Estate in Sicilia
It is proved by several works of art by Gagini's school, including two massive marble sculptures representing St. Joseph and St. Francis, set in both sides of the high altar.
Of great artistic value is also the beautiful Pietro Novelli's masterpiece (1603-1647), the Election of St. Matthias, dominating the high altar.