|The town of Castroreale
Tourism in Castroreale
The Cathedral Church, consecrated to Maria Assunta (Virgin Mary received into Heaven), was built in 1400 and enlarged in the early XVII century.
The main front shows an elegant Baroque portal which is in contrast with the XVIth-century imposing bell-tower, which was probably used as sight-tower too.
The inside shows a Latin cross plan and is divided into three naves outlined by sixteen columns made of grey sandstone.
The holy water vessel on the right is made by Antonello Gagini (1478-1536).
In the main nave there is a rich inlaid choir of 1612, a marble pulpit of 1644 and a baptismal font of 1634.
In the right aisle, at first altar we find la Pietà made by Francesco Cardillo (XVI-XVII century).
In the presbytery there is an inlaid choir of the XVIII century. In the left aisle at the second altar we find S. Caterina d'Alessandria and Santa Maria di Gesù both made by Antonello Gagini (1478-1536).
From the terrace, on the eastern side of the church, it is possible to admire a splendid panorama over the plane of Milazzo.