|The town of Itala
Tourism in Itala
The Church of SS. Pietro and Paolo was built in the XI centuryand was rebuilt in 1093 by the earl Roger to celebrate the victory over the Arabs.
With a basilican plan, it is divided into three naves of which the middle one is higher than the others.
Inside there are some marvellous XVIIIth-century canvases.
Photo © firstname.lastname@example.org
The dome, in the middle of the transept, is based on a square tambour.
The main front is made of bricks with files of lavic stone and shows decorations with small blind arches which are gone down with an oriental taste.
The contrast between bricks and lavic stone give a very attractive coloured effect.