|The province of Messina
Letojanni (Zip Code 98037) is 247 km. distant from Agrigento, 181 km. from Caltanissetta, 55 km. from Catania, 152 km. from Enna, 50 km. from Messina, which province it belongs to, 292 km. from Palermo, 159 km. from Ragusa, 113 km. from Siracusa, 191 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Gianni Miano
The municipality has 2.476 inhabitants and an area of 678 hectares for a population density of 365 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a flat area along the coast and is 5 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in piazza Municipio, tel. ++39 0942-627835 fax. ++39 0942-36048. Toll free number is 800017418 (only for Italian residents).
Main economic activities are agriculture and fishing. Products mostly cultivated are corn, olives, wine-grapes, almonds, lemons, mulberries, fruit. Interesting is the yearly manifestation "Agosto a Letojanni" (August at Letojanni) in which the festival of fish and water-melon and the parade of the Sicilian cart take place.
It is also to underline the strong inclination of territory to tourism. In fact in the place there is a good receptive offer both hotel and camping supplied with facilities fit to receive very many tourists especially during summer.
Photo © Reti e Sistemi
The etymology of Letojanni is a mixture of Latin and Arabic. The place-name derives in fact from Latin Laetum,that is "rich", and from Arabic Ayn, that means "spring".
There are not many information about origin of the little town but it is known that until half of the XVIII century it has been under the jurisdiction of Gallodoro town. In the XIX century it was involved in a high economic increase and in 1880 it gained administrative equality with Gallodoro. The earthquake of 1908 damaged some of its buildings later rebuilt. In 1952 it became an independent commune.
The most interesting monuments are the Parish Church in neogothic style, rebuilt in 1929 and keeps inside a beautiful picture of Piety of 1700.
An important figure original of Letojanni is the famous surgeon Francesco Durante (1844-1934), who was teacher of surgery of the joints and bony at the University of Studies of Roma and he was together with Guido Baccelli founder of the General hospital of Roma and finally he was also named senator of the Reign.