|The town of Limina
Tourism in Limina
Limina, placed on southern mounts Peloritani, gets its origins in the Middle Ages. The name probably derives from limen (bound), referred to its geographic location between the area of Messina and Taormina.
The inhabited centre houses the Church of San Filippo d'Agira, which was rebuilt in 1930 on the place of a previuos temple dating back to the XVIII century. Few kilometres from Limina, in the village of Murazzo, raises the Sanctuary dedicated to the same Saint. History refers that St. Philip, on his trip from Rome to Agira, stopped nearby a small town and founded a Christian Community.
Limina celebrates St. Philip with an evocative feast which takes place in the days 11, 12, and 20 of May and on 16 August.
Photo © Arcipreturalimina
The first day, 11 May, the imposing statue of the Saint passes among people brought by the believers who, with measured steps, get to the Sanctuary in the village of Murazzo. On 12 May and 16 August, the procession passes along the town streets.
The "ottava" (eighth), that is 20 May, the feast expects, in the afternoon, the spectacular run to simulacre which is "portato" (brought) to mounts Calvario and Durbi.
Up to 1944 the celebration expected the so-called "ddutta", that is a fight, a sort of throw with rope between the factions of handicraftsmen and shepherds.