|The town of Lipari
Tourism in Lipari
The Cathedral, dediacated to San Bartholomew, was built by the earl Roger, who gave it to Brother Ambrose, named first abbot of all the Eolie isles. This was confirmed by Roger II in 1134.
In 1544 Turks of Ariadeno Barbarossa sacked and set the town of Lipari on fire and the Cathedral too.
Only evidence of the original building is given by a series of capitals of cloister, which are divided into two groups the former shows a varied ornament of the foliaceous-geometric type; the latter shows illustrated subjects with a symbolic-religious value with kinds of decoration made up mainly of images of animals.
Photo © Luigi Nifosì
The inside is in Baroque style and shows a basilical plan and it is divided into three naves which show frescoes reppresenting storie del Vecchio Testamento (stories from the Old testament). The XVIth-century surviving works of art can be set in the field of the manneristic painting which cutting from Tuscan-Roman current joins contemporary Neapolitan-Sicilian events.
Among these works, important is the canvas of S. Caterina d'Alessandria: the Saint, full-lenght represented with angels crown-stand, and structured in a severe and archaic schematism of devotion and popular origin.
In the left side of the transept there is a table repreenting the Madonna del Rosario (Our Lady of Rosary) of the early 1600. On the altar dedicated to Bartholomew is set a silver statue of the Saint dating to 1728.
Photo © Luigi Nifosì
The altar is made up of a middle wooden frontal painted like a marble in red and green. In relief there are two gilded coat-of arms and floral motifs. On the sides of the frontal, two external pilasters are decorated with inlaids with geometric motifs and phytomorphoes and two great bishop's coat-of-arms.
The altar is datable to the XVIII century for richness of its coloured cloths, linked to tradition of messinese and palermitani marble-cutters of 1600 and of the early 1700.
In the inlaid tiles recur motifs of the great XVIII-th century painting in the invention of soft coloured harmony created by a refined technique. In the columns seem to take again the decorative motifs of Oratorio della Pace (Oratory of Peace) of 1790 and destroyed in 1908.
Works like this show the presence and the circulation in the yards of plans and drawings very spread and vell known in Sicily such as those of best quality made by Giacomo Amato (1643-1714) or by Nicolò Palma (XVIII century).