|The province of Messina
Milazzo (Zip Code 98057) is 298 km. distant from Agrigento, 228 km. from Caltanissetta, 136 km. from Catania, 187 km. from Enna, 44 km. from Messina, which province it belongs to, 226 km. from Palermo, 224 km. from Ragusa, 194 km. from Siracusa, 325 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Municipality of Milazzo
The municipality has 31.959 inhabitants and an area of 2.423 hectares for a population density of 1319 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a flat area and is 1 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in via Crispi, tel. ++39 90 9231111 fax. ++39 90 9284729.
Main economic activities are agriculture, fishing and handicraft. Products mostly cultivated are vegetables, olives, grapes, first fruit and flowers. Typical handicrafts are made in wood and iron.
The original name of Milazzo was Mylai, ascribed by the Greeks who colonized it in 716 B.C.. The name changed into Milàs during Arabic domination and finally in the current name. Milazzo's area has been populated since Neolithic period and later it has been occupied by Sicilian.
The village was founded in the VIII century B.C. by Greeks but soon after it was conquered by Byzantines and by Arabs. The castle has been built during Norman period and it was fortified under Alphonso of Aragon.
Photo © Michele Palamara
During the XVI, XVII and XVIII centuries town changed progressively its town-planning and enlarged its territory towards the flatter area. Between 1805 and 1812, during Neapolitan struggles, it was parade ground of the English people.
The most interesting monuments are the Arabic-Norman Castle, the Cathedral of the XVII century, the Sanctuary of St. Francesco from Paola built in 1465 and restored in the XVIII century as well as numerous noble buildings of the lower part of the town like the Carrozza Palace and the neoclassic Town Building.
Luigi Rizzo (1887-1951) is an important man original of Milazzo. He was a war hero and PT boat commander during W.W.I. He sank the Austrian Admiralty ship and a battleship and in recognition of the astonishing feat he was awarded two gold medals.