|The town of Monforte San Giorgio
Tourism in Monforte San Giorgio
In the centre of Monforte San Giorgio, in piazza IV Novembre, raise the Cathedral Church dedicated to St. George, the patron of the village. The left side front of the temple gets a magnificent and precious portal in late-Gothic style dating to 1550.
The inside shows a Latin cross plan and is divided into three naves and pilasters. The right aisle gets on the altar a splendid Madonna della Consolazione (Our Lady of confort), a work of the XVI century attributed to school of Antonello Gagini (1478-1536).
The cross nave shows, on the right part, the Sposalizio mistico di Santa Rosa (The mystic wedding of St. Rose), a canvas with intense expressions made by the Messinese painter Antonio Filocamo (1699-1743).
Into a semiround hollow, on the right of the middle nave, is placed the Chapel of the Holy Sacrament built in 1596 on the plan of Jacopo Del Duca (1520-1601?1604) who was Michelangelo’s pupil (1475-1564).
Photo © Nino Cantivalli
The Chapel shows a picture representing many scenes: Madonna con Bambino (Our Lady with Christ Child), Cristo Risorto (Resurrected Christ) and Saints painted in 1530 by ANtonello de Saliba, nephew of Antonello of Messina (1430-1479).
Of extraordinary beauty are the Choir and the Chancel, an artisanal work made of wood of the last of the XVI century, and the Madonna della Lettera (Our Lady of the Letter), a preciouos canvas kept between two columns and attributed to Carlo Maratta (1625-1713).
On the left of the middle nave there is the Chapel of St. George which contains the statue of the saint.
Finally, the left part of the cross aisle keeps a marvellous Madonna della Candelora (Our Lady of Candlemas) and a painting made by Onofrio Gabrielli (1619-1706) representing St. George and the dragon.