|The province of Messina
Novara di Sicilia
Novara di Sicilia (Zip Code 98058) is 279 km. distant from Agrigento, 212 km. from Caltanissetta, 87 km. from Catania, 171 km. from Enna, 74 km. from Messina, which province it belongs to, 225 km. from Palermo, 191 km. from Ragusa, 135 km. from Siracusa, 324 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Messenia.com
The municipality has 1.988 inhabitants and an area of 4.878 hectares for a population density of 41 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an inland hilly area and is 650 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in via Gerolamo Sofia, tel. ++39 0941-650954 fax. ++39 0941-650030.
Novara di Sicilia is placed within the borders of mounts Peloritani and Nebrodi and has a good agricultural production of vegetables, fruit, hazel-nuts, walnuts, chestnuts.
Excellent are also local dairying products and in particular the so-called "maiorchino", which can be tasted in the yearly Festival of cheese that takes place in February and March. Breedings present are cattle, pig, goatish and sheep ones and are very developed.
The name of the small town derives from Medieval Latin Noara and from Sicilian Nuara and from Sicilian "garden, cultivated field". The first town centre was founded near 1195 in the area round the medieval castle and it was populated by a colony of Lombardi.
Photo © Messenia.com
In the XIII century it was conquered by lord Ruggero of Lauria a soon after in passed into possession of noble Matteo Polizzi.
Later the feudal village has been dominated by Alogna family till up 1392. In this same year king Martino took possession of it. Then it has belonged to noble Gioienis until abolition of feudality.
The most interesting monuments are the Cathedral that was enlarged in the XVI century and preserves twelve valuable marble altars; the Church said "La Badia" that gets inside a bronze wash basin of the XIII century; the Church of Annunziata built in the XVI century and the Church of St. Giorgio which rises on twelve sandstone columns. Important among town structures is the Fountain placed in front of Town Palace and it was built in 1668.