|The town of Novara di Sicilia
Tourism in Novara di Sicilia
The Cathedral was built in the XVI century on the ruins of a small church.
The inside is divided into three naves which base on twelve columns made of sandstone with Corinthian capitals and keeps twelve altars of best workmanship.
At the right altar of the mayor there is the wooden statue of the Virgin Mary received into Heaven made by Filippo Colicci (1767).
Photo © Messenia.com
The apse wall keeps: a very beautiful canvas representing Madonna con le SS. Anna e Venera (Our Lady with SS. Anne and Venera) of 1605 made by Francesco Cardillo (XVI-XVII centuries); a canvas which represents the Andata al Calvario (Going to the Calvary) attributed to Antonio Catalano the Elder (1560-1630).
Behind the high-altar it is possible to admire a wooden choir inlaid of the XVIII century.
The wooden corbels with inlaids of the XVII century, coming from the destroyed church of St. Sebastian, are set before the high-altar at which it officiates.