The province of Messina

San Pier Niceto


San Pierniceto
Photo © Municipality of San Pier Niceto

San Pier Niceto (Zip Code 98045) is 312 km. distant from Agrigento, 245 km. from Caltanissetta, 133 km. from Catania, 204 km. from Enna, 40 km. from Messina, which province it belongs to, 237 km. from Palermo, 237 km. from Ragusa, 191 km. from Siracusa, 336 km. from Trapani.

Photo © Municipality of San Pier Niceto  

War Memorial

The municipality has 3.056 inhabitants and an area of 3.629 hectares for a population density of 84 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a hilly area along the coast and is 260 metres above sea-level.

The Town Hall is placed in piazza Municipio n. 12, tel. ++39 090-9975382 fax. ++39 090-9975374.

E-mail address of municipality is:

Agricultural production is based upon the cultivations of citrus fruit, cereals, wine-grapes, olives, fruit and dairying products. Flourishing are cattle and sheep breedings.

San Pier Niceto, once known by the name of San Pietro di Monforte, is menzioned for the first time in a diploma of 1198 and it is said that it belonged to feudal town of Monforte. In 1873 the village assumed the current name of San Pier Niceto clearly referred to Greek word "Niketos", that is winner.

The most interesting monuments are the Church of St. Pietro, which preserves a statue of the homonymous Saint made by Gagini and the Church of St. Caterina and its inside there is a statue of Madonna, a work by Andrea Calamecca (1524-1589).

Divergent opinion rises about the etymology of name for absence of documents losed lost col terremoto of Messina of 1908.

The name San Pier Niceto comes from S. Peter, the saint patron of the country, and from the Niceto torrent, whose name comes from the Nike Greek word "Nike" which means Victoria, because of the victory obtained by the Christians against the Muslims, in a battle fought along the river.

Photo © Municipality of San Pier Niceto  

A particular of decking with flowers

According to another hypothesis the Niceto word might come from the name of the fruit of the hazel tree, a most common tree in the large forest of the zone.

The town was founded between the IX and the X century d.C. by the Saracens. They built the first houses in the district of Porticelli. People then subsequently moved to the districts of "Gallo" and "Quattrofacce" so to be hidden to the pirates.

Many of the domination that succeeded in Sicily leaved their influence also on Saint Pier Niceto.

In 1628 Filippo IV gave the title of Conte di San Pier Niceto to Giuseppe Moncada Saccano, first Prince of Monforte. The Moncada Princes hold the Ducato for approximately two centuries and decayed due to the conquest of Sicily by Garibaldi.

Many legends are tied to the cruelty and cupidity of the Moncada Princes.

People says that the Prince, observing from the windows of his Palace the women who went to take the water to the river, enjoined to shoot on their "cottare" (water jugs in terracotta for the water), just to see them soaked. After that the prince gave them the money for buying new water jugs. Moreover,when someone married, the spouse had to spend the first night of wedding in the bed of the prince.

Photo © Municipality of San Pier Niceto  

Chiesa San Francesco

Under the lordship of the Moncada, the country had its greated development. During the XVII and the XVIII century were built the convents of the Carmelitani and the Paolotti and were constructed the most of the churches.

The most interesting monument are the Church of S. Antonio with a nave, deconsecrate, and now used al the library of church, the Church of S. Francisco di Paola, belonging to the convent of S. Maria Maggiore, built in 1634, and the Church of S. Giacomo. In this latter church is preserved the ancient Crucifix that in the Holy Friday comes carried in religious procession along the country. Interesting to see is also the Church of the Carmine, built in XVII century.

On the top of the town rises the little Curch of S. Rocco, dating back to the XVIII century, where are conserved the statues of S. Sebastiano, S. Rocco and of the Madonna del Riparo.

The Company

The Reti e Sistemi S.r.l. founded in 2000 by a group of professionals with decades of experience in Information Technology to be able to meet the most diverse computing needs of its valued customers.


  • Phone: +39 0923 / 547983 - +39 0923 / 548695
  • Fax: +39 0923 / 038230
  • E-mail:
  • Address: Corso Piersanti Mattarella n. 12 91100 Trapani (Tp) Italia