|The province of Messina
Savoca (Zip Code 98038) is 259 km. far from Agrigento, 198 km. from Caltanissetta, 67 km. from Catania, 164 km. from Enna, 37 km. from Messina, which province it belongs to, 296 km. from Palermo, 171 km. from Ragusa, 125 km. from Siracusa, 359 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Wikipedia
The municipality has 1.624 inhabitants and an area of 880 hectares for a population density of 185 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises along the coast on a mountainous area and is 303 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in piazza Fossia, tel. ++39 (0)942-761006 fax. ++39 (0)942-761014.
Main economic activity is agriculture. Products mostly cultivated are citrus fruit, grapes, lemons, olives, fruit. Breeding present is cattle and interesting is also the production of dairying products.
Savoca derives its name from plans called "Sambuchi", (elder-trees), popularly said Saùchi from Greek Sabùka and still now called saùche in Sicily.
Before of the year thousand the places were live to you from the "Pentefur", a community that allocated itself in the quarter that it has their name.
Savoca was founded in 1134 from Ruggero II and it was developed around to the "Stronghold of Pentefur" where, to the time of the Arabic domination, it was constructed a castle called "Saraceno Castle", such fortress came restructured chased from the Archbishops of Messina to which it belonged until at the sec.XVIII.
In the Middle Ages it was a town with castle, town-walls building, offices trained to you, judicial and two doors, of which one of these he is still today existing.
Photo © Wikipedia
In the centuries XIV and XV many churches were constructed, between which that monumental of S.Lucia annexed to the convent of the Dominican fathers, constructed in 1465; this collapsed in 1880 because of a landslide.
Until the 1492 a Jewish community found itself (approximately 200 persons) that it had a sinagoga.
Savoca had in the time of the caused migratory flows from calamitÓ natural that they reduced the town in the only inhabited area, today Pentifurri quarter.
Between monuments, of remarkable architectonic interest they are the Church Mother with a renaissance rose window on the portal, the Church of S. Michele with beautiful portals, in sandstone stone, of the first of the 1500's, the Church of S. Nicol˛, constructed in XIV the century, has the aspect of a fortress, the ruderi of the Castle Pentefuro or "Saraceno", medieval house with "window double lancet window" constructed in the late five hundred that belonged to the Fleres families, Trischitta, Altadonna and today of the family Cantatore, and the Convent with the Church of the Cappuccini with the Catacombe containing the mummie of the notables, patrizi and the Abbots, dressed with dresses of the first 1800's.