The province of Messina



View of Tortorici
Copyright © A.A.P.I.T. Messina

Tortorici (Zip Code 98078) is 258 km. distant from Agrigento, 188 km. from Caltanissetta, 104 km. from Catania, 147 km. from Enna, 131 km. from Messina, which province it belongs to, 184 km. from Palermo, 208 km. from Ragusa, 162 km. from Siracusa, 283 km. from Trapani.

Photo © A.A.P.I.T. Messina  

Mountain S.Pietro fall

The municipality has 8.998 inhabitants and an area of 7.016 hectares for a population density of 128 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a mountainous inland area and is 445 metres above sea-level.

The Town Hall is placed in via Vitt. Emanuele, tel. ++39 0941-421008 fax. ++39 0941-421185. The related e-mail address is:

Main economic activities are agriculture and breeding. Products mostly cultivated are corn, chestnuts, hazel-nuts, grapes, acorns (we want to remember the festival of hazel-nut in August). Breedings present are cattle, pig, horse and sheep ones.

Not being much clear the origin of town name's, it is believed can derive from Torre Tudith. Second the Tortorici's legend, it was founded from carthaginian princessa Orice. In the centuries the history was handed on that the town was founded from a group of refugees coming from the north Africa , between the 681 and the 703, than they live in the place calling it Orice in memory of the Aures locality from which they came, and of their Queen Dih, that is Orice.

Famous in all the Sicily for the production of bells and statues in bronze, the town of Tortorici is cited in a document of diocese of Messina of century XII.

In Norman age Federico of Svevia gived the territory of Tortorici to Guidone Pollicino. In the Angevin period the feud passed to Girardo and Bertrando de Artus but with the advent of the Spanish returned to the Pollicino and later passed to Federico Moncada. The Moncada family will remain owner until 1597 when Federico junior, the last one of the Moncada, sold the barony to the families Mastrilli and Corbera.

Photo © The Environment office of Diocesi di Patti 

The Mother Church

In the 1630 Tortorici became part of the Regal property and obtained one representing in the sicialian parliament. Two years later it had the head-comarca role, that is chief town of the territories of the valley. Tortorici maintained this privileges until 1812, when the constitution of Cadice uniforms the Sicily in 23 districts.

In 1682 and 1753 the alluviums destroyed the town putting in crisis the local economy that had developed itself in the centuries XVI and XVII. It followed a long period of reconstruction that bringed to the building of new churches and convents in various places from those original.

The most interesting monuments are the Church of Saint Nicola, with wooden painted ceiling, the Church of Santissimo Salvatore where is a copy of the Spasimo di Sicilia of Raffaello Sanzio painted in the 1643 from Joseph Tomasi, the Church of the Batia or of the Annunziata that conserves a marble made group of the Annunciazione of 1533 of Antonello Gagini, the Church Mother built between the 1753 and 1775 with a triptych of marble placed on the facade and inside an organ of the 1700's attributed to Giovanni Platania of Acireale, the Church of Saint Biagio with an arc dating back to 1270, the Church of Saint Francesco with annexed the bell tower of the old convent and finally the small Church of Saint Emerenziana and the Church of the Misericordia.

Among important people native of Tortorici we mention the historian of science Sebastiano Timpanaro (1888-1949) who was manager of the Domus Galileana of Pisa and edited textual criticism of Galileo's works.

The Company

The Reti e Sistemi S.r.l. founded in 2000 by a group of professionals with decades of experience in Information Technology to be able to meet the most diverse computing needs of its valued customers.


  • Phone: +39 0923 / 547983 - +39 0923 / 548695
  • Fax: +39 0923 / 038230
  • E-mail:
  • Address: Corso Piersanti Mattarella n. 12 91100 Trapani (Tp) Italia