|The town of Ucria
Tourism in Ucria
Ucria, founded according to a legend by inhabitants of disappeared town of Monte Castello, was conquered by powerful Syracuse in 269 B.C. and in 242 B.C. became a Roman possession.
After Arabs and Normans, Ucria has belonged to some noble families, such as Barresi, Campisano, Perollo and Morquet, till to 1812 when the feudality was abolished.
The village extends over the Valley of the river Naso. The inhabited centre, with the structure of quarters typical of Medieval period, includes among its numerous Renaissance churches the beautiful Cathedral Church.
The temple raises just into historical centre of the village and shows a front made of sandtone with valuable grey and blu nuances. The important portal was elegantly sculptured by skilful local artisans.
The inside is divided into three naves with big marble columns, which give brilliance to the area. The temple is furnished with real works of art among which there are Baroque altars which hit for their style, taste and refinement of perspective and light and shade.
The Holy Table are cut into wood and gold coloured. Of valuable workmanship, very expressive and with refined decorations is Our Lady of Stairs, work attributed to work-shop of art of the sculptor Antonello Gagini (1478-1536) of palermo.