|The province of Palermo
Altofonte (Zip Code 90030) is 151 km. far from Agrigento, 154 km. from Caltanissetta, 254 km. from Catania, 173 km. from Enna, 271 km. from Messina, 12 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 295 km. from Ragusa, 319 km. from Siracusa, 100 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
The municipality has 9.326 inhabitants and an area of 3.527 hectares for a density of population of 264 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an internal hill zone and is 359 metres above sea-side.
The Town Hall is placed in piazza Falcone and Borsellino, phone ++39 091-6648111 fax. ++39 091-6640257.
In the agricultural sector are important products such as citrus fruit, almonds and olives, fruit and grapes.
The small town of Altofonte has been called Parco until 1930, because it has been residence and hunting cantre of the king Ruggero the Norman. Later the name changed in Altofonte for the plenty of its springs.
During the XIII century, it became the summer residence of the Angevins and was also the favourite stay of the Aragonese kings.
Photo © Proloco of Altofonte
It was just in Altofonte where king Pietro II from Aragon was born. In 1860 the small town was noted for having taken part to the Garibaldian feat.
Inside the Cathedral Church, erected in 1633, it is possible to admire the high altar rich in marbles and with a bas-rilief that represents the image of the Madonna of Altofonte.
Behind the church there is the old chapel of the Palace, St. Michele, of the XII century, with a little dome on a high tambour with an only aisle.