|The town of Altofonte
Tourism in Altofonte
Built in 1633 by express order of abbot Scipione Borghese, the Church rises in the same place where previously there was a Cistercian monastery.
The building has a hall structure which is covered by barrel vaults with different alters and chapels finely decorated with works of art dated back to late XVIII century.
The main altar is of best workmanship. It is realized in Baroque style and decorated with fine marbles.
Photo © Proloco of Altofonte
Side chapels are also very interesting, decorated by works of art which are dated back to a period between the XVII and XIX centuries.
Among these there are the Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows) and Sant'Anna, disposed respectively in the direction of third altar on the left and third altar on the right.
A precious bas-relief representing the image of Madonna seduta con il bambino sulle ginocchia (Sitting Madonna with Baby on knees) disposed on the first altar on the right.
In the end of best workmanship is a valuable inscription in four shields on which there are coats of arm of Aragona of Sicily, Guzio family and of Abbey of Santa Maria of Altofonte.