|The province of Palermo
Balestrate (Zip Code 90041) is 138 km. distant from Agrigento, 196 km. from Caltanissetta, 303 km. from Catania, 215 km. from Enna, 303 km. from Messina, 44 km. from Palermo,which province it belongs to, 274 km. from Ragusa, 345 km. from Siracusa, 55 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
The municipality has 6.180 inhabitants and its area covers 387 hectares for a density of population of 1.596 inhabitants per square kilometre. The town rises on a flat area and is 38 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in via Roma, tel. ++39 91 8786145 fax. ++39 91 8787355.
Balestrate is a lively seaside report as well as an agricultural centre, important for the production of vegetables, olives, citrus fruit and fruit. Of particular importance in this territory is the green house cultivation.
In the ancient periods the name of the town has been Sicciara, from Sicilian Siccia.
It was so called for the plenty of the cuttle-fishes into the near sea.
In 1307 king Federico III from Aragon gave the territory of Balestrate to Partinico, but the monarchy kept State rights along coastal area for a deepth egual to a throw of crossbow: this gave it the name of Balestrate.
Photo © Wikipedia
In 1762 Rosalia Leto gave uncultivated lands to colonies on condition that they cultivated them. In this way the village began to take form and became a self-governing after 1829.
During the subsequent years its development had being ulteriorly continued, also thanks to the installation of oenological plans by Ingham, Woodhouse and Florio.
In the monumental field there are the Cathedral Church, erected in 1843, and the Castle of Calatubo, a Byzantine stronghold placed on the top of the cliff.
It was later rebuilt perhaps by the Arabs; it is thought so because of characteristic of its building.