|The town of Baucina
Tourism in Baucina
Baucina rises on splendid hills surrounded by very beautiful lands rich of cultivations of olive-trees, vines and almonds.It was founded in the XVII century and its history starts from powerful Florentine family of Migliaccio. King Philip IV of Spain (1605-1665) granted don Mariano Migliaccio the title of prince of Baucina on 26 October 1626.
In the village there is a beautiful Church of the College of Maria where it is kept, inside a precious urn, Santa Fortunata's relics, martyr and patron saint of the little town.
The church, built in 1737, has on its front a beautiful portal decorated with small geometric shapes and it ends into architectonic curvilinear ornament.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
Entrance is supported by false columns, four on each side, rilief sculptured and theysupport in scenography, second series of temple. Here a splendid and large window opens: it is encircled by friezes and accompanied by drawings which evoke solemn atmospheres. On the left of the window a fine clock is placed.
The temple ends into rilief decorated pediment. It is defined on sides by two imposing bell-towers and there is a refined and simple Cross on the upper part.
The inside, also very beautiful, is enriched by altars artistically worked and by a splendid canvas representing Madonna del Lume, made by unknown author.
The statues of Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows) and San Rocco have a good visual effect and they are of very good workmanship. The latter is made by sculptor Filippo Quattrocchi.