Il Sole Editrice   Luigi Nifosė - Photographer in Sicily   Edas
The province of Palermo

Caccamo

The town of Caccamo
Copyright © 2000 Edizioni Leopardi
 

Caccamo (Zip Code 90012) is 112 km. distant from Agrigento, 111 km.from Caltanissetta, 227 km. from Catania, 130 km. from Enna, 231 km. from Messina, 48 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 248 km. from Ragusa,285 km. from Siracusa, 147 km. from Trapani.

Copyright © Municipality of Caccamo The mother church

The municipality has 8.681 inhabitants and its area is 18.780 hectares for a density of population of 46 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an inner hill zone, and is 521 metres above sea-level.

The Town Hall is placed in corso Umberto I n. 78, tel. ++39 091-8103111 fax. ++39 091-8148860.

In the handicraft field it is industrious the wood-work, wrought iron-work and baked clay work as well as typical local needle-works.

In the agricultural field there is the production of almonds, cereals, olives and grapes. Cattle, sheep and swine breedings are also present.

Different suppositions have been made on the origin of the name Caccamo: from Greek kakkabe (partridge); from Latin Càcabus (kier); from Carthaginian caccabe (horse's head).

Different sources tell about the presence of the Mussulmans since the ancient times. In 1093 the count Ruggero assigned the territory to the jurisdiction of the Church of Agrigento.

In 1094 it became a feudal commune and remained until 1812. All through the XIV century Caccamo was under Chiaramonte family's rule who considerably put the territory to its best use.

Copyright © Reti e Sistemi A view of castle

When it changed under Henriquez-Cabrera's domination, Counts of Modica, the town had been very important until XVIII century.

Among its monuments there is a Norman Cathedral, consecrated to the town's patron St. Giorgio martyr.

Further there are the Church of SS. Annunziata (of Virgin Mary), built in the Medieval period; the famous Castle, majestic manor-house it has been already a stronghold in the XI century. It is the most majestic and imposing castle in Sicily and one of the greatest and better kept in Italy.