|The town of Campofelice di Roccella
Tourism in Campofelice di Roccella
Campofelice di Roccella was founded in 1699 by Gaspare La Grutta, with the purpose of receiving people who had lived on the plain and on the coast in the past, ideal places for agricultural and trade activities, but they were obliged to leave because of an inundation that had flooded fields.
It was so that the village rose in a more hilly area which is surely "happier" as seat.
The Castle rises on the beach at the foot of the centre, nearby the mouth of stream Roccella. It was built and maybe also rebuilt by Arabs on the ruins of a previous tower.
Roger II (1095-1154), king of Sicily, understood the strategic importance of the building and made of it an important outpost for military defence and an efficient control-tower.
Photo © Angelo Verdi
In 1205 the castle was possession of Bishop of Cicala of Cefalù; in 1300 it gave hospitality to Roberto d'Angiò (1278-1343); in the XIV century it was rebuilt and used as sight-tower against danger represented by privateering vessels; in the XV century it became property of Antonio Ventimiglia; in 1485 it was given to Gaspare Spes, count of Sclafani, by Ferdinand (1452-1516), king of Aragon, of Naples and of Sicily.
Now it is possible to admire some remains of original places of the castle, some beautiful arc-windows with double center typical of Gothic style and a refined chapel.