|The town of Camporeale
Tourism in Camporeale
Camporeale was founded in 1779 by Don Giuseppe Beccadelli Bologna, marquise of Sambuca.
The small town which rises on fertile lands of feud of Macellaro looks from the lower part a hill with a splendid belvedere and on which is the Sanctuary of Madonna dei Peccatori.
According to tradition in 1855 three faithful men found among reeds a big stone on which was represented Madonna who held under her mantle sinners. On the stone there was also engraved a date: 1622.
Inhabitants of Camporeale for this reason built a small chapel, with piling up stones, to receive the sacred relic. Few months later it was built a larger sanctuary on the rock which overlooks the small town and inside it has kept the picture of Madonna for 50 years, from 1855 to 1905.
New building was inadequate to receive the great number of believers who arrived there on pilgrimage from everywhere. For this reason chapel was enlarged with a sacresty where religious ceremonies have took place for five years.
In 1910 the temple gave away and the image of Madonna was moved temporarily in the Church of Sant'Antonio. In the same year works for building new sanctuary began and they finished in 1920, also by the good offices of Vito Sacco of Camporeale who raised funds required for acquiring some wood to complete church's roofing.
Between 1930 and 1935 the temple was furnished with a beautiful and elegant flight of steps from which it is possible to admire quiet panorama of luxuriant plains which enclose priginal shapes of small towns which surround Camporeale.