|The province of Palermo
Capaci (Zip Code 90040) is 157 km. far from Agrigento, 160 km. from Caltanissetta, 267 km. from Catania, 179 km. from Enna, 277 km. from Messina, 18 km. from Palermo, which province it belongs to, 301 km. from Ragusa, 325 km. from Siracusa, 89 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Capaci.info
The municipality has 10.926 inhabitants and its area is 612 hectares for a density of population of 1.785 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on a coats hilly area and is 75 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in piazza Troia n. 1, tel. ++39 091-8673111 fax. ++39 091-8671260.
Agricultural activity of the centre is flourishing and produces citrus fruit, olives and prickly pears. Industrious is also the dairying production in special way that of mozzarella (kind of Italian cheese originally made from cow-buffalo's milk). In handicraft field typical embroderies are present.
The name of the town derives from Sicilian Capa whose meaning is head. Capaci has very ancient origins: the first settlings belonge to Paleolithic period.
The oldest historical episode whose we have some news dates back to 1241. It is about the concession of some possessions made by Federico II.
Photo © Capaci.info
Medieval feud until 1400 but lacking in inhabited centre because of the Muslim attacks from sea, it was occupied only by woods and vineyards.
About 1576 the centre began to be peopled under the Baron Gilberto. In 1619 Vincenzo Pilo from Calvello acquired Marineo's marquisate and Capaci's baronage. Until 1860 the county had ruled by the descendants of Pilo's family and later it became a self-governing commune.
In the artistical field there are: the Cathedral Church in baroque style dedicated to St. Erasmo, inside the apse above the altar there is a valuable Crucifix; the Palace of the Counts Pilo, now it has been restoring; the seventeenth century Church of St. Rocco, on its side there is the bell-tower still now entire; the Fontana Grande ( the great fountain), pure spring-water gushes from it.