|The town of Castelbuono
Tourism in Castelbuono
The Matrice Vecchia (Old Cathedral Church) of Castelbuono is placed in Square Margherita, having in the middle a XVIth-century fountain.
It was built in the XIV century above the ruins of a pagan temple and in 1494 it was consecrated by the archbishop of Calcedonia.
It was dedicated to Maria SS. Assunta and it has been recently restored.
The main front is precedeed by a Renaissance porch, added in 1500, and enriched in the middle with a portal in Catalan style.
Left side is embellished with a solid bell-tower enriched with a double lancet window in Romanic style and in the high part it ends with an octagonal cusp covered with coloured majolica tiles.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
The inside, originary with three aisles, is enlarged till four aisles near the end of the XV century.
The coffered ceiling, columns and walls show traces of interesting popular frescoes dating back to the XV century: they are a true expression of the local culture.
High altar keeps a marvellous polyptych representing Virgin's coronation, attributed to Pietro Ruzzolone (1484-1526).
On the right there is the statue of the Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Graces), made by Antonello Gagini (1478-1536). The crypt is entirely frescoed with episodes of Passion, Death and Resurrection of Christ.