|The province of Palermo
Castronuovo di Sicilia
Castronuovo di Sicilia (Zip Code 90030) is 57 km. distant from Agrigento, 82 km. from Caltanissetta, 220 km. from Catania, 123 km. from Enna, 316 km. from Messina, 82 km. Palermo, which province it belongs to, 193 km. from Ragusa, 273 km. from Siracusa, 181 km. from Trapani.
The municipality has 3.522 inhabitants and its area covers 19.991 hectares for a density of population of 18 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an inner mountainous area and is 680 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in piazza Municipio, tel. ++39 091-8217031 fax. ++39 091-8218183.
In the agricultural field there are fruit, olives, cereals and wine-grapes production. In the handicraft is present baked clay objects' working and the production of furniture.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
The name of the small town has Norman origins Castrum Novum that means new castle. Small medieval village it rose on a slope near the banks of the river Platani, in a territory of very old origins.
Numerous in fact are the remains and the traces which demonstrate the presence of inhabitants since pre-historical periods.
It was hellenized because of its strategical importance between the valley of the river Platani and the river Torto.
They in the half of the XIV century left the village because of the building of new Cathedral Church and peopled the valley. Chief town of judicial district until 1813, Castronuovo di Sicilia had an impoverishment above all because there was, and there is still now, the emigration.
In the monumental field there are the Cathedral Church of the SS. Trinity erected in 1404 and again built in the XVIII century; the Church of the Madonna of the Rosary built in 1666 and some of the remains of the Norman Castle.