|The town of Castronuovo di Sicilia
Tourism in Castronuovo di Sicilia
Town centre of Castronuovo di Sicilia has a peculiar architecture which reflects the linear Arabic villages, built according to a plan that underlines difference between simple rural houses and splendid and sumptuos mosques.
Also the Cathedral Church, dedicated to SS. Trinità and built in 1404, is included in this conception of linear architecture because it has a severe front with some ogival windows.
Inside it is present an only nave with some side chapels.
Turning eyes upwards it is possible to admire the singular vault built to end of the XVII century.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
There is also a great apse decorated with valuable stuccoes, works of Antonio Messina (XVIII century).
Numerous and splendid are artistical masterpieces kept in the Church. They often come from other churches of place now no more existent.
It is singular, inside the sacresty, a Rinaissance cabinet enriched with ivory carvings and marble bas-riliefs.
The Church has a parish Museum which preserves silverware and sacred paraments.
In the picture: the Church of San Francesco.