|The province of Palermo
Cerda (Zip Code 90010) is 127 km. distant from Agrigento, 101 km. from Caltanissetta, 198 km. from Catania, 106 km. from Enna, 219 km. from Messina, which province it belongs to, 58 km. from Palermo, 242 km. from Ragusa, 278 km. from Siracusa, 156 km. from Trapani.
Photo © Edizioni Leopardi
The municipality has 5.441 inhabitants and an area of 4.382 hectares for a population density of 124 inhabitants per square kilometre. It rises on an inland hilly area and is 274 metres above sea-level.
The Town Hall is placed in piazza La Mantia, tel. ++39 091-8991003 fax. ++39 091-8992322.
Small agricultural centre, it is paritcularly renowned for producing agricultural products such as artichoks. In Cerda there is also developed handicraft: there are wood and iron works. Interesting are also local embroideries.
The village once was called Tavernanuova. There are only few news about origin of its current name. In fact it is thought that it is a surname of an owner of the place. Till 1453 it has been possession of Ventimiglia of Collesano and later, for about two centuries, of Bardi family.
In 1663 it was acquired by noble family of Spanish origins: Santostefano who was able to get the popular duty of feud. Giuseppe Santostefano became the first marquise of Cerda.
Photo © Comune di Cerda
One of the oldest buildings of Cerda is Baronial Palace. Interesting it is also the Cathedral Church placed at the end of the main square and built between the XVI and XVII centuries.
On its right it is possible to admire La Mantia's house built in the XVIII century.
A special historic event is bound to this small town: the Targa Florio, the most ancient motor-race all over the world, which has run since 1906 and derived its name from homonymous agricultural industrialists who became its sponsor.